Biotecnología de alimentos
Lactic Bacteria and Probiotics
The study of physiology, genetics and ecology of lactic acid bacteria in the gastrointestinal and food environments, with the aim of establishing and optimizing their role in human health, industrial processes and food quality.
- -The use of global gene expression analysis in the study of metabolism regulation and comparative genomics of probiotic strains.
- -Study of the mechanisms involved in probiotic activity and in the cross-talk host-microbiota through molecular techniques, such as differential expression in tissues and bacteria (nutrigenomics)
- -Study of the role of the microbiota in infant health and developement: role of breast milk
- -Study of the role of two-component signal transduction systems in the metabolism and physiology of Lactobacillus casei
- -Response to stress in L. casei: adaptation to industrial conditions and the gastrointestinal tract
- -Design of recombinant L. casei strains with improved technological and probiotic qualities
- -Production of bioactive metabolites in lactic acid bacteria by metabolic engineering.