Claudia Monika Haros, Chemist, graduated from School of Exact and Natural Sciences, University of Buenos Aires (UBA), Argentine in 1990. She is also MSc in Bromatology and Food Technology (1992); and MSc in Biology Analysis (1997) from UBA. She is Ph.D in Chemistry (UBA-1999), officially approved by the Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport from Spain. From 1991-2003, she worked as university professor in the Organic Chemistry Department, Food Science and Technology Area of UBA. From 1991-1999 she was Research Assistant in the Cereals and Oilseeds Group, Department of Industrial Chemistry, UBA. Later, from 2000-2002 she worked in Spain as a visiting professor in the Cereal Group of the Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology (IATA) in Valencia. During the 2003, she was postdoc fellow at the Department of Food Microbiology, Institute of Animal Reproduction and Food Research (CENEXFOOD-EU), Polish Academy of Science, Olsztyn, Poland. From 2003-2004 she received an award for working with Prof. Sandberg of the Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering, Life Science Division, University of Chalmers, Gothenburg, Sweden. Since 2005 became Research Associate of the Spanish Council for Scientific Research of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness (CSIC-MINECO). From 2008 she is permanent staff of CSIC and continues her investigation in the Cereal Group, Department of Food Science of IATA. Since 2015 she is coordinator of International Chia-Link Network.
Since the early stages of her career she was mainly engaged in research in respect to Cereal Science and Technology field. The major theme in Dr. Haros’s research is the utilization of different strategies to improve nutritional and/or functional value of cereal by-products or cereal ingredients. These strategies include use different physical, biochemical or biological treatments during milling cereal process; development new cereal by-products by including novel ingredients; use new starter phytase producers for regulating content and composition of lower myo-inositol phosphates in cereal by-products with clear nutritional and health benefits.
In recent years her research focused on:
Nutritional studies of vegetable raw materials and/or their by-products on their biological activity for their subsequent integration into new food matrices. For this purpose, different in vitro and in vivo strategies are utilized for determining nutritional and/or biological activities. These assays include the determination of bioaccessibility/bioavailability of minerals, glycaemic index and nutrient inputs according to Dietary Reference Intakes/Adequate Intakes (DRIs/AIs). The ultimate objective is to identify dietetic solutions and innovations to prevent diseases and to improve consumers’ well-being and health.
- Use of phytases from Bifidobacterium for increasing mineral availability of vegetable foods
- Utility of Latinamerican crops as ingredients for improving nutritional and functionality of bakery products
- Develop new cereal wet milling processes/pseudocereals for getting starches and protein isolates with new nutritional and functional features.
- Ahmed, I.B.H.; Hannachi, A.; Haros, C.M. Combined Effect of Chia Flour and Soy Lecithin Incorporation on Nutritional and Technological Quality of Fresh Bread and during Staling. Foods, DOI: 10.3390/foods9040446 (2020).
- Bączek, N.; Jarmułowicz, A.; Wronkowska, M.; Haros, C.M. Assessment of the glycaemic index, content of bioactive compounds, and their in vitro bioaccessibility in oat-buckwheat breads. Food Chemistry, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.127199 (2020).
- Ballester-Sánchez, J.; Fernández-Espinar, M.T.; Haros, C.M. Isolation of red quinoa fibre by wet- and dry-milling and application as a potential funcional bakery ingredient. Food Hydrocolloids, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2019.105513 (2020).
- Fernández-López, J.; Lucas-González, R.; Roldán-Verdú, A.; Viuda-Martos, M.; Sayas-Barberá, E.; Ballester-Sánchez, J.; Haros, C.M.; Pérez-Álvarez, J.A. Effects of Black Quinoa Wet-Milling Coproducts on the Quality Properties of Bologna-Type Sausages During Cold Storage. Foods, DOI: 10.3390/foods9030274 (2020).
- Fernández-López, J.; Lucas-González, R.; Viuda-Martos, M.; Sayas-Barberá, E.; Ballester-Sánchez, J.; Haros, C.M., Martínez-Mayoral, A.; Pérez-Álvarez, J.A. Chemical and technological properties of bologna-type sausages with added black quinoa wet-milling coproducts as binder replacer. Food Chemistry, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2019.125936 (2020).
- Fernández-López, J.; Lucas-González, R.; Viuda-Martos, M.; Sayas-Barberá, E.; Navarro, C.; Haros, C.M.; Pérez-Álvarez, J.A. Chia (Salvia hispanica L.) products as ingredients for reformulating frankfurters: Effects on quality properties and shelf-life. Meat Science, DOI: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2019.05.028 (2020).
- Guiotto, E.N.; Tomás, M.C.; Haros, C.M. Development of Highly Nutritional Breads with By-Products of Chia (Salvia hispanica L.) Seeds. Foods, DOI: 10.3390/foods9060819 (2020).
- Miranda-Ramos, K-C.; Haros, C.M. Combined E ect of Chia, Quinoa and Amaranth Incorporation on the Physico-Chemical, Nutritional and Functional Quality of Fresh Bread. Foods, DOI: 10.3390/foods9121859 (2020).
- Miranda-Ramos, K.; Millán-Linares, M.C.; Haros, C.M. Effect of Chia as Breadmaking Ingredient on Nutritional Quality, Mineral Availability, and Glycemic Index of Bread. Foods, DOI: 10.3390/foods9050663 (2020).
- Ould Saadi, L.; Zaidi, F.; Sanz, T.; Haros, C.M. Effect of faba bean and chickpea mucilage incorporation in the structure and functionality of kefir. Food Science and Technology International, DOI: 10.1177/1082013220908089 (2020).
- Selma-Gracia, R.; Haros, C.M.; Laparra Llopis, J.M. Inclusion of Salvia hispanica L. and Chenopodium quinoa into bread formulations improves metabolic imbalances derived from a high-fat intake in hyperglycaemic mice, Food & Function, DOI: 10.1039/d0fo01453b (2020).
- Selma-Gracia, R.; Haros, C.M.; Laparra, J.M. Kinetic Approach to the Influence of Chia Flour on Glucose Bioaccessibility from Hydrothermally Treated Maize and Quinoa Starch. Plant Foods for Human Nutrition. DOI: 10.1007/s11130-020-00854-8 (2020).
- Selma-Gracia, R.; Laparra, J.M.; Haros, C.M. Potential beneficial effect of hydrothermal treatment of starches from various sources on in vitro digestion. Food Hydrocolloids, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2020.105687 (2020).
- Srdic, M.; Ovcina, I.; Fotschki, B.; Haros, C.M.; Laparra Llopis, J.M. C. quinoa and S. hispanica L. Seeds Provide Immunonutritional Agonists to Selectively Polarize Macrophages, Cells, DOI: 10.3390/cells9030593 (2020).
- Wronkowska, M.; Jarmułowicz, A.; Lamparski, G.; Jeliński, T.; Haros, C.M. Oat–buckwheat breads – technological quality, staling and sensory properties. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research, DOI: 10.15212/ijafr-2020-0105 (2020).
- Tazrart, K., Zaidi, F., Salvador, A., Haros, C.M. Effect of broad bean (Vicia faba L) addition on starch properties and texture of dry and fresh pasta, Food Chemistry, 278: 476-481, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.11.036 (2019).
- Ballester-Sanchez, J., Fernández-Espinar T., Gil J.V., Haros, C.M.. Quinoa wet-milling: Effect of steeping conditions on starch recovery and quality. Food Hydrocolloids, 89: 837-843, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2018.11.053 (2019).
- Laparra, J.M., Fotschki B., Haros, C.M. Immunonutritional consequences of different serine-type protease inhibitors in a C57BL/6 hepatocarcinoma model. Oncotarget, 10: 760-772, DOI:10.18632/oncotarget.26605 (2019).
- Ballester-Sánchez, J.; Gil, J.V.; Haros, C.M., Fernández-Espinar, M.T. Effect of incorporating white, red or black quinoa flours on the Total polyphenol content, antioxidant activity and colour of bread, Plant Food for Human Nutrition, 89: 837-843, DOI: 10.1007/s11130-019-00718-w (2019).
- Ballester-Sánchez, J.; Yalçın, E.; Fernández-Espinar, M.T.; Haros, C.M. Rheological and Thermal Properties of Royal Quinoa and Wheat Flour Blends for Breadmaking. European Food Research and Technology, 254: 1571-1582, DOI: 10.1007/s00217-019-03265-5 (2019).
- Fernández-López, J.; Lucas-González, R.; Viuda-Martos, M.; Sayas-Barberá, E.; Navarro, C.; Haros, C.M.; Pérez-Álvarez, J.A. Chia (Salvia hispanica L.) products as ingredients for reformulating frankfurters: effects on quality properties and shelf-life. Meat Science, 156: 139-145, DOI: 10.1016/j.meatsci.2019.05.028 (2019).
- Laparra, J.M.; Haros, C.M. Plants seed protease inhibitors differentially affect innate immunity at tumor microenvironment to controll hepatocarcinoma. Food & Function, 10(7): 4210-4219, DOI: 10.1039/C9FO00795D (2019).
- Miranda-Ramos, K.; Sanz-Ponce, N.; Haros, C.M. Evaluation of technological and nutritional quality of bread enriched with amaranth flour. LWT - Food Science and Technology, 114, DOI: doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2019.108418 (2019).
- Ballester-Sánchez, J., Millán-Linares, M.C., Fernández-Espinar, M.T., Haros, C.M. Development of healthy, nutritional bakery products by incorporation of quinoa. Foods, 8(9): pii: E379, DOI:10.3390/foods8090379 (2019).
- Request number:Ref. 1641.676 (2009) Nº de Registro: P2010030438 (2010), WO 2011117452 A1, PCT: PCT/ES2011/070198 (2011)Title:Haros, M.; Monedero, V; Yebra, M.J. & Tamayo Ramos, J.A. Truncated phytases of bifidobacteria and uses thereof/Fitasas truncadas de bifidobacterias y sus usos