Fidel Toldrá holds a BSc in Chemistry (1980), High Degree on Food Technology (1981) and PhD in Chemistry (1984). Since 2001, he is Research Professor and Head of the Laboratory of Biochemistry, Innovation and Technology of Meat and Meat Products at the Instituto de Agroquímica y Tecnología de Alimentos (CSIC), in Burjassot, Valencia (Spain). He is also Associate Professor of Food Technology at the Polytechnical University of Valencia since 1996. Prof. Toldrá was a Fulbright postdoctoral scholar at Purdue University (West Lafayette, Indiana, 1985-86) and visiting scientist at the University of Wisconsin (Madison, Wisconsin, 1991 and 1995), as well as a visiting scientist at the Institute of Food Research (Bristol, UK, 1987). He has successfully leadered numerous national and international research projects and contracts with diverse European and Canada food companies. In 1992, he received the Iber Award on Food and Cardiovascular Diseases. In 1995, he was considered as Honorary Associate Fellow by the University of Wisconsin-Madison. In 2001 he received the National Award of the Institute DANONE to the best Scientific Trajectory in last 10 years. He received the 2002 International Prize for Meat Science and Technology and in 2002 the GEA award on R+D activity in agro-food in the Valencia Community. In 2008 he was elected as Fellow of the International Academy of Food Science and Technology (IAFOST) and in 2009 elected Fellow of the Institute of Food Technologists (IFT). He received the Distinguished Research Award in 2010 and the Meat processing Award in 2014, both from the American Meat Science Association and in 2015 he received the prestigious DUPONT Science Award. All these awards recognise his scientific contributions and technological innovations as well as the wide scientific diffusion of his results and its applicability to the agro-industry sector. Prof. Toldrá has filed 11 patents and directed 24 PhD thesis. He has published over 285 manuscripts in world-wide recognized scientific journals (listed in the Science Citation Index) and 130 chapters of books. His work is quite cited, >700 citations in 2015, 2016 & 2017, and in fact, he holds an h index of 49. He has also published 55 divulgative articles and presented >120 communications to Congresses. Prof. Toldrá is the European Editor of Trends in Food Science and Technology (Elsevier, since 2005) and Associate Editor of Meat Science (Elsevier, since 2014); he was Editor-in-Chief of Current Nutrition & Food Science (Bentham, 2005-12) and section Editor of the Journal of Muscle Foods (Wiley-Blackwell, 2009-10). He is a member of the Editorial Boards of Food Chemistry (Elsevier, since 1999), Journal of Muscle Foods (Wiley-Blackwell, 2001-10), Food Analytical Methods (Springer, since 2008), Journal of Food Engineering (Elsevier,, since 2011), Journal of Food and Nutrition Research (VUP, since 2008), The Open Nutrition Journal (Bentham, since 2008), The Open Enzyme Inhibition Journal (Bentham, since 2008), Recent Patents in Agriculture, Food and Nutrition (Bentham, since 2009), Food Science & Nutrition (Wiley, since 2012), Current Opinion in Food Science (Elsevier, since 2014), Food Science & Human Wellness (Elsevier, since 2017) and International Journal of Molecular Sciences (MDPI, since 2017). He is the Editor of the prestigious serial books entitled Advances in Food and Nutrition Research (Academic Press/Elsevier, since 2016). He has acted as Guest Editor of 15 special issues for Trends in Food Science & Technology, Food Chemistry, Meat Science, Journal of Food Engineering, International Journal of Food Microbiology, Food Research International and Current Opinion in Food Science. He authored the book Dry-cured meat products (Wiley-Blackwell, 2002) and has worked as Editor or Associate Editor of 40 books for major US Publishers (Springer, CRC Press, Wiley-Blackwell). He was one Editor-in-Chief of the Encyclopedia of Food and Health (Academic Press/Elsevier, 2016) and Editor of the 8th edition of the famous book Lawrie´s Meat Science (Woodhead/Elsevier, 2017). He has been the chairman and member of the organizing / scientific committees of several Workshops, Symposia and Congresses supported by international Organisations like OECD, IMS and the European Commission. He was also member of the Executive Committee (2002-05 & 2006-09) of the European Federation of Food Science and Technology (EFFOST). Prof. Toldrá was a member of the Scientific Panel on Food Additives (2003-08) and the Panel on Flavorings, enzymes, processing aids and materials in contact with foods (2008-15) of the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA). He chaired the WG Irradiation (2009-10), Processing Aids (2011-14) and Enzymes (2010-2015). In 2008-09 he joined the group of FAO/WHO experts to evaluate chlorine based disinfectants in foods.
Escudero, E., Aristoy, M.C., Nishimura, H., Arihara, K. & Toldrá, F.
“Antihypertensive effect and antioxidant activity of peptide fractions extracted from dry-cured ham”
Meat Science, 2012, 91, 306-311
Reig, M., Aristoy, M.C., & Toldrá, F.
“Variability in the contents of pork meat nutrients and how it may affect food composition databases”
Food Chemistry, 2013, 140, 478-482
Marusic N., Aristoy, M.C., & Toldrá, F.
“Nutritional meat compounds as affected by ham dry-curing”
Meat Science, 2013, 93, 53-60
Escudero, E., Mora, L., Fraser, P.D., Aristoy, M.C., Arihara, K. & Toldrá, F.
“Purification and Identification of antihypertensive peptides in Spanish Dry-Cured ham”
Journal of Proteomics, 2013, 78, 499-507
Lassoued I, Nasri, R., Mora L, Jridi, M., Toldrá F., Aristoy, M.C., Nasri, M. & Barkia, A.
“Characterization and comparative assessment of antioxidant and ACE inhibitory activities of Thonrback Ray gelatin hydrolysates”
Journal of Functional Foods, 2015, 13, 225-238
- Request number:P200801433Title:Sistema de medida y/o monitorización del grado de curación y composición en el interior de productos cárnicos y de la pesca, y otros productos seco-salados durante su procesadoDate of the request:Monday, 25 August, 2008
- Request number:P5930PC00Title:Procedimiento para la caracterizacion no destructiva de la calidad de carne fresca y productos carnicos curados o cocidos mediante la aplicacion de espectros dielectricos 40hz-20ghz aplicando…” “Procedimiento y dispositivo para la discriminación de alimenDate of the request:Monday, 25 August, 2008
- Request number:200700358Title:Composición, procedimiento de obtención de un aroma a jamón curado y sus aplicacionesDate of the request:Friday, 9 February, 2007
- Request number:02738193.8Title:Animal feed formulation which is used to control the fatty acid profile in pig meatDate of the request:Wednesday, 12 June, 2002
- Request number:200102511Title:Formulación de un pienso para el control del perfil de ácidos grasos de la carne de cerdoDate of the request:Tuesday, 2 January, 2001
- Request number:2160048Title:Procedimiento basado en el análisis de nucleótidos para la detección inmediata en línea de sacrificio de carnes de cerdo exudativasDate of the request:Saturday, 2 January, 1999
- Request number:2142767Title:Método para la determinación del tiempo total del proceso de fabricación de jamón curado de cerdo blanco (GLUJAM)Date of the request:Thursday, 2 April, 1998
- Request number:2123440Title:Un método de predicción de la intensidad del aroma y defectos en la fabricación de productos cárnicosDate of the request:Sunday, 12 May, 1996
- Request number:2123441Title:Un método de predicción de la intensidad del sabor y defectos en la fabricación de jamones curados y/o cocidosDate of the request:Sunday, 12 March, 1916
- Request number:2129332Title:Procedimiento para predicción de texturas y defectos en la fabricación de jamones curados y/o cocidosDate of the request:Wednesday, 15 June, 2016
- Request number:2116229Title:Método de diferenciación bacteriana basado en la determinación de actividades aminopeptidásicasDate of the request:Friday, 12 January, 1996