Dr. Peris has a Ph.D. in Biotechnology, in 2012 at University of Valencia. David Peris has a yeast evolutionary biology and biotechnological applications background. He is a Marie Sklodowska Curie Postdoctoral Fellow at Institute of Agrochemistry and Food Technology (IATA) – CSIC for studying the generation of yeast biodiversity, mitochondrial introgression, and their applications to alcoholic beverage industry. He has also developed his research in the Institute Cavanilles of Biodiversity and Evolutionary Biology at University of Valencia, in the University of Manchester and in the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Peris has been lecturer of basic genetics and evolutionary biology. He has mentored undergraduates, PhD students, and postdocs, and he was also president of the regional Section of Spanish Scientists in USA (ECUSA) - Midwest from 2015 to 2017, developing mentoring and outreach programs. Dr. Peris is co-author of 15 papers in indexed journals (2 of them were journal covers), 1 review, 2 papers have been submitted and he was involved in 9 research projects. He has been reviewer of 7 international journals, and he has participated in different international conferences, contributing with posters and talks. He has also been awarded with 3 travel grants, two research grants, one oral talk prize and he has displayed 3 intellectual disclosure reports and one patent is under licensing.
Publications in google scholar: http://goo.gl/jfahYH.
18. Higgins DA, Young MK, Tremaine M, Qin L, Sardi M, Fletcher JM, Agnew M, Peris D, Wrobel RL, Hittinger CT, Gasch AP, Singer SW, Simmons BA, Landick R, Thelen MP, Sato TK (Submitted). Natural variation in multidrug efflux pump SGE1 underlies Ionic Liquid tolerance in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci.
17. Langdon Q, Peris D, Kyle B, Hittinger CT (Submitted). sppIDer: a species identification tool to investigate hybrid genomes using high-throughput sequencing data. Molecular Biology and Evolution.
16. Eizaguirre JI, Peris D, Rodríguez ME, Lopes CA, De Los Ríos P, Hittinger CT, Libkind D (Submitted). Phylogeography of the wild Lager-brewing close relative (Saccharomyces eubayanus) in Patagonia. Environmental Microbiology.
15. Gonçalves C, Wisecaver JH, Kominek J, Oom MS, Leandro MJ, Shen XX, Opulente DA, Zhou X, Peris D, Kurtzman CP, Hittinger CT, Rokas A, Gonçalves P (2018). Evidence for loss and reacquisition of alcoholic fermentation in a fructophilic yeast lineage. eLife 7:e33034.
14. Peris D, Pérez-Torrado R, Hittinger CT, Barrio E, Querol A (2018). On the origins and industrial applications of Saccharomyces cerevisiae x Saccharomyces kudriavzevii hybrids. Yeast 35(1): 51-69.
13. Peris D, Moriarty RV, Alexander WG, Baker E, Sylvester K, Sardi M, Langdon QK, Libkind D, Wang QM, Bai FY, Leducq JB, Charron G, Landry CR, Sampaio JP, Gonçalves P, Hyma KE, Fay JC, Sato TK, Hittinger C (2017) Hybridization and directed evolution of diverse Saccharomyces species for cellulosic biofuel production. Biotechnology for Biofuels 10: 78.
12. Peris D, Arias A, Orlić S, Belloch C, Pérez-Través L, Querol A, Barrio E (2017) Mitochondrial introgression suggests extensive ancestral hybridization events among Saccharomyces species. Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 108:49-60.
11. Zhou X, Peris D, Kominek J, Kurtzman CP, Hittinger CT, Rokas A (2016) in silico Whole Genome & Analyzer (iWGS): a computational pipeline to guide the design and analysis of de novo genome sequencing studies. G3 Genes/Genomes/Genetics 6: 3655-3670.
10. Peris D, Langdon Q, Moriarty RV, Sylvester K, Bontrager M, Charron G, Leducq JB, Landry CR, Libkind D, Hittinger CT (2016) Complex origins of lager-brewing yeasts were shaped by standing variation in Saccharomyces eubayanus. PloS Genetics 12: e1006155.
9. McIlwain SJ, Peris D, Sardi M, Moskvin OV, Zhan F, Myers K, Riley NM, Buzzell A, Parreiras LS, Ong IM, Landick R, Coon JJ, Gasch AP, Sato TK, Hittinger CT (2016) Genome sequence and annotation of a stress-tolerant, wild-derived strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae used in biofuels research. G3: Genes / Genomes / Genetics 6:1757-1766.
8. Peris D, Pérez-Través L, Belloch C, Querol A (2016) Enological characterization of Spanish Saccharomyces kudriavzevii strains, one of the closest relatives to the parental strains of winemaking and brewing S. cerevisiae x S. kudriavzevii hybrids. Food Microbiology 53: 31-40.
7. Alexander WG, Peris D, Pfannenstiel BT, Opulente DA, Kuang M, Hittinger CT (2016). Efficient engineering of marker-free synthetic Saccharomyces allotetraploids. Fungal Genetics and Biology 89: 10-17.
6. Baker EC, Wang B, Bellora N, Peris D, Hulfachor A, Koshalek J, Adams M, Libkind D, Hittinger C (2015). The genome sequence of Saccharomyces eubayanus and the domestication of lager-brewing yeasts. Molecular Biology and Evolution 32: 2818-2831.
5. Peris D, Sylvester K, Libkind D, Gonçalves P, Sampaio JP, William GA, Hittinger CT. (2014). Population structure and reticulate evolution of Saccharomyces eubayanus and its lager-brewing hybrids. Molecular Ecology 23: 2031-2045 (Cover).
4. Peris D, Lopes CA, Arias A, Barrio E. (2012). Reconstruction of the evolutionary history of Saccharomyces cerevisiae x S. kudriavzevii hybrids based on multilocus sequence analysis. PLoS ONE 7(9): e45527.
3. Peris D, Lopes CA, Belloch C, Querol A, Barrio E. (2012). Comparative genomics among S. cerevisiae x S. kudriavzevii natural hybrids strains isolated from wine and beer reveals different origins. BMC Genomics 13: 407.
2. Peris D, Belloch C, Lopandić K, Álvarez-Pérez JM, Querol A, Barrio E. (2012). The molecular characterization of new types of S. cerevisiae x S. kudriavzevii hybrid yeasts unveils a high genetic diversity. Yeast 29(2): 81-91.
1. El-Sharour WM, Belloch C, Peris D, Querol A. (2009). Molecular identification of yeasts associated with traditional Egyptian dairy products. JFS: Food Microbiology and Safety 74(7): M341-M346.